Let me tell you, if you ever move internationally, the small things will make you SO proud. Getting myself to the airport via two trains on time and with everything in Dutch (and of course an overpacked suitcase) was almost as good as getting a raise! That's right, that good.
Having made it to the airport, I was extremely anxious about meeting all of my new coworkers. I was headed on this trip with approximately 70 strangers. Thankfully, there is an expat from NYC in the Amsterdam office now and she took me under her wing and made sure I got introduced to everyone and had someone to explore Barcelona with. While it was wonderful to meet so many of my coworkers in an informal setting and get to know them outside of work right off the bat, truth be told it was quite overwhelming. Keeping names straight is so hard! Especially when I can't spell or pronouce most names... Luckily the office has a photo directory of people, so I'm playing catch up on the name game :) Also, I keep getting asked if Spruill is a Dutch name... maybe if I changed my wardrobe and got an accent I could pull this off! Wishful thinking I'm sure...
First on the agenda for Barcelona was pretty much not to have one at all. It is such a great city to wander the streets in. Barcelona is full of narrow alleys filled with excellent shopping at the street level and apartments above with lights and laundry hanging from the balconies. There are tons of outdoor cafes to sit in and people watch and the larger streets are filled with trees.
| |
Looks like scooters are to the Spanish what bikes are to the Dutch. |
| I'm a sucker for rainbows :) |
| |
| Typical street at night |
| Palm tree in the Placa Reial square - site of the first tapas meal - yummm |
| |
| Older side and front of the Sagrada Familia church |
| |
| The picture doesn't do it justice. |
| Newer side of the church |
Dinner the first night was at an excellent tapas place.. lonia de tapas - delicious! I had tapas and sangria for 3 means in two days and don't regret it one bit!
Saturday was filled with gorgeous sunny weather and more sight seeing. We spent a lot of time wandering around Barcelona's water front. I was extemely impressed with the port area - it includes a multipiece dock that slides back and forth to let boats in and out during the day and the whole area was very clean and pedestrian friendly.
| Christopher Columbus statue - I'm very glad you sailed the ocean blue in 1492. |
| I was here too! With hair in face per usual. |
| Would love to get my hands on one of these to sail around the Mediterranean! |
Up next came the most stressful part of the weekend (not getting to the airport, not worrying if people will like me, not protecting my purse from pickpockets, but this) - a two hour bike tour of the city. It is truly a miracle that I did not fall off! In theory the bike tour was really cool - we rode all around the city and saw all the major sights, but when you're unsteady on the bike, going through crowds of people in narrow streets pretty much just leads to lots of "eeeeek!" Several guys in the group stayed back to make sure I didn't get left behind and a partner literally felt the need to explain how to brake to me. So very nice of everyone but so embarassing! The good news is that I was getting better by the end and Amsterdam is the most bike friendly city in the world I think it's safe to say so I should have much fewer obstacles here and greater chance for success! I'm buying a bike this week :)
| Partying with the NYC expat at Opium Mar |
Looks fun. Never been to Barcelona but need to add it to the list- Justin
ReplyDelete