Monday, October 10, 2011

Bikes, Canals, and 34 letter words...

Hello friends and family!  I'm happy to report that I made it to Amsterdam last Wednesday to start my year and a half adventure in Europe.  I arrived without luggage or a phone but luckily things have improved since then!  I've settled in to a nice temporary apartment on the East side of Amsterdam in an area called Oost.  I've explored my current neighborhood, started searching for a permanent place, and taken care of some major details like a work visa and bank account.

I knew I'd have to adjust to living in a foreign country here, but the adjustment to living in a city (versus suburbia) has proved almost as difficult.  Public transportation is the norm here (there are 6 year wait lists for parking permits in the city center!), personal space is almost non-existent, and everything is expensive!  Gone are my days of lean cuisines for dinner... I actually cooked a meal tonight (chicken stir fry) in my attempt to be more economical and save my money for traveling :)  Those who've ever lived with me know this is almost as significant as moving here!  Thus far the biggest challenge in adjusting to life in Amsterdam has been the language barrier.  While most people (and everyone at work) speak excellent English, they speak Dutch first and almost all writing is in Dutch.  Small things like learning how to use my washer/dryer have become big successes in my book.  I am going to try my best to learn Dutch but I know the chances of mastering it in a year and a half are minor with 34 letter words like projectontwikkelingsmaatcschappijen (property development companies).

Speaking of traveling, I actually spent my first weekend in Europe away from Amsterdam.  Last minute I was able to join my work department's trip to Barcelona, Spain!  See future posts for details on the tapas, streets, and clubs of Barcelona... I would LOVE to go back there and it was a great way to start this adventure!

While this post is already getting long, I do want to share a few quick things I've noticed here that I find interesting and hope you all will as well.

Some things you might not have known about the Dutch...
  • They love milk! In the cafeteria at work today milk was free and the only drink I saw. In trying to fit in I channeled my 10 year old self and drank a glass.  I can't say I loved it, but hey, it does a body good right? :)
  • Personal liability insurance is required.  Expactica.com says 9 out of 10 Dutch people have this insurance that covers them if they cause damage to another person or property.  At 3 Euros a month, my klutziness is now insured as well!  Having this kind of insurance significantly reduces the number of civil suits here compared to the States.
  • Street signs are tiny and even with my new glasses I can barely read them!  Rather than being on posts on an intersection, street signs are attached to buildings.  No doubt I will be getting lost and trying to memorize the map.

My current street.  I promise to have good stories from the day I start driving and have to look for these teeny street signs.

Some things you might have known that I can now whole heartedly verify...
  • Biking is HUGE in Amsterdam!  Riding a bike is clearly the easiest way to get around the city, and bikers always have the right away above both cars and pedestrians.  Let's just say it only took one dirty look from a cyclist for me to learn where the bike paths start and the sidewalk ends!
  • Water is everywhere. - Canals are quintessential Amsterdam and they're truly beautiful.  While I don't think I could actually live on them in a houseboat like some people do, they are definitely my favorite part of the city thus far.

The Amstel Canal

I made it to A'dam!  This is the Singelgracht canal near my temporary apartment. 
Check out the background - modern apartment buildings next to a windmill!
Houseboats on the Singelgracht
  • The weather is dreary :(  - It has been cold, windy, and somewhat rainy every day thus far.  The forecast says sunshine starting Thursday though and I can't wait!  I've also come to the understanding that no, I will not melt in the rain, and while my hair will get frizzy, I can handle a walk to the train station in it.  I'm throwing girliness out the window!
While I'm really enjoying Amsterdam so far and continue to be amazed by the beauty and way of life here, I am starting to miss some things from the states...
  • Friends and family of course!  Thanks to everyone for the emails and messages - you all have helped my home sickness tremendously!
  • Diet Mt. Dew - We all know I have a caffeine addiction and Coca Cola light is just not cutting it!
  • Being able to get in my car and drive anywhere I want to - The city has buses/trams/trains that I use to get around and while convenient absolutely nothing beats having your car out front and going directly to where you want on your own schedule.
  • Good smelling laundry detergent - it smells a little funky to me here... who knew?!
Thanks for reading!
Met vriendelijke groet/ Kind regards,
Katherine

1 comment:

  1. Very cute blog! So glad you started blogging!! Do you have your own bike yet? Glad to know where you're staying. We've started looking at hotels and we definitely want to be nearby. Do you think you'll stay in that area? Can't wait to hear more from Amsterdam and see the pics of Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete