Monday, January 2, 2012

Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!

Hello there!  It's been awhile... almost two months actually.  I'm sorry for being such a delinquent blogger, and I really appreciate those who've requested more frequent posting - it's on the New Year's resolution list for sure!  After reading this post, hopefully you'll understand why I've been gone so long... it has been a very busy two months!  Here's a few of the highlights...

I have a home!
At last posting, I had an apartment, but it didn't feel like home yet.  Enter 4 trips to IKEA, the arrival of my sea shipment from the U.S. (minor crisis that my queen size bed was too big to get into the apartment - thank goodness the windows here are huge and my movers were awesome!), the building of 3 wardrobes, 3 tables, a couch, chair, ottoman, and foot stool - with a huge thanks to the girl friends, and probably more importantly their significant others, who helped with the wardrobes, and drum roll please... my apartment is a home!  I'm planning a whole blog about my apartment (need one last hinge from IKEA to finish it!) but here's a small taste:

The entrance to my apartment... looking at it from the living room/den.
Close up of some Richmond love :)  Awesome scrapbook is on the coffee table!  I can't hang pictures on my plaster walls so there will be lots of picture frames around...
My inspiration for the apartment decorating... lots of purple here but I'm not a traitor to pink - it's still my favorite color!

Traveling... let's see how many cities I can drive to!
In the past two months I've been to 6 different cities outside Amsterdam for at least a day.  Each city was unique, beautiful, and I'd love to go back to all of them except maybe Frankfurt (sorry).  If I was held down and forced to choose, I think Brugge, Belgium would top the list!  Here's a small taste of them all...

Frankfurt, Germany
Of all 6 cities, Frankfurt is the only one with a typical "downtown" and sky scrappers. Because it was destroyed during WWII and had to be rebuilt (in my opinion) it lacks some of the charm of preserved European cities.  It's a main business hub nowadays and does have a great river front.
With my friend Amy after the EY Thanksgiving dinner in Frankfurt - so grateful to have turkey and stuffing and celebrate the holiday!
Brugge, Belgium
Can we say gorgeous?!!
In the middle of the Christmas market in the Markt Square in Brugge.  I LOVE Christmas markets, but I have to say, the Brugge market doesn't hold a candle to Cologne's (see below!).
Ghent, Belgium

Just a small medieval castle in the middle of a city, nothing special, totally normal... pretty cool :)
View of Ghent from the top of the castle.  You can't tell here but Gent does have a really gorgeous waterway through the city with lots of bars and restaurants along it that seem like they'll be fun in warmer weather!

Cologne, Germany
With my friend Stephanie in front of the cathedral in Cologne.  It is something to see in person - it's so ornate and beautiful.  There was actually a service going on inside when we went - must be cool to go to church in a Gothic cathedral, like no big deal right?
Cologne Christmas market takes the cake!  I will most definitely be back.  Gluwein (hot, spiced wine), German sausage, and hand-crafted ornaments/housewares - yes please!

Brussels, Belgium
With the little brother in front of the Manneken Pis statue... yep, this little bronze boy saved the city from fire in the 14th century by peeing :)  Side note, can we talk about how I got all the short genes in the family!  And I'm even wearing 2 inch heels here!
Brussels town hall in The Grand Place... central square of Brussels.  Imagine going to work here everyday?!

Haarlem, The Netherlands
The Cathedral of Saint Bavo - huge!!  Haarlem is only 25 minutes from Amsterdam and is a gorgeous, quintessential Dutch town I think.  I have a few coworkers who live there and I'll be back!

I heart visitors!
December was a great month with one of my best friends and her Mom visiting early in the month and then my family arrived for Christmas through New Year's. We did a ton of sight seeing and it was so great to reconnect with the people that know me so well and show them around my new home here! Check out a few of the highlights below. Others welcome (or welcome back!) anytime :)

Dutch Jenever bar in Amsterdam - Wijnand Fockink
Heineken Experience - I have found a new love for Heineken in this town... kind of sad to say it but I think my days as a Bud Light girl might be over!

My wonderful guests!  Thank you so much for visiting, for the home cooked meal, and the wooden spoon to name just a few of the blessings you brought me!

So great to see my little family :) They were wonderful to come visit me for my first holidays abroad!
A'dam from the steps at NEMO... little misunderstanding about whether or not this was an acquarium... it is NOT, but the "Let's Talk about Sex" exhibit for teenagers was totally worth the trip to this kid's science museum - wooden dolls in 30 or so sex positions would NEVER fly in the States!  Hilarious.
Cameron and me at the Brouwerij 't IJ brewery - that's sacks of either barley or hops behind us - they brew their own beer there AND you're basically drinking under a windmill... can't beat it!
My fabulous New Year's Eve dates at Little Buddha Bar - so very glad that Justin, Bridget, and Robin came to A'dam too! Loved getting to know them better! 

This city is the SH!T!!
I've spent a lot of time out and about in the city over the past couple months, and I truly love it more each time. Even after biking 15 min in the rain and arriving to a restaurant with friends with mascara running down my face, I love it. (Trust me, living here is significantly reducing any high maintenance tendencies I had!)  People keep asking me what my favorite thing about A'dam is and I continue to have a hard time answering the question - it's no one place, thing or person... it's more the feeling I get biking across a canal bridge, constantly discovering even more interesting museums, bars, and restaurants, and the people who have been so nice to me here.

Speaking of people, I considered posting some photos here but I think I have something that will say it better... During my first three months here there was a girl in A'dam on exchange from one of our Spain offices and I'm very grateful that we became great friends in that short time!  She headed back to Spain right before Christmas, but she made an amazing video for our coworkers before she left.  This video captures social life here better than a few pictures would so if you have a few minutes, check it out!  I'm still AMAZED that she made it - it's so good!  I can't get my oven to work but she can do this - cool chica!

WARNING - If you (thinking parents/coworkers...) don't want to see my partying, don't watch this :)  Also, I'm not in the first couple minutes really because we didn't become friends until after Barcelona so you could fast forward to minute 2 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYSyqVzHN8

Thanks for reading! My New Year's goal is at least every two weeks, so till next time!
-Katherine

1 comment:

  1. The apartment looks great!! I wish we were coming to see it (and Allen could fix your cabinet) but I'm so super excited about Italy!!

    ReplyDelete